Inspire, Attract and Recruit toolkit: Resources and guidance to support your workforce supply
Recruitment is a vital process for healthcare companies that requires careful planning, transparent processes, and agreed timescales. Here are some key strategies that can help your organisation attract and retain the best talent:
- Evaluate your recruitment activity and regularly measure elements to improve future training. Monitor key metrics such as time-to-hire, cost-per-hire, and applicant satisfaction to identify areas for improvement.
- Understand your local workforce profile and unique selling points to attract candidates. Analyse your local talent pool's demographics, skills, and needs to tailor your recruitment strategy accordingly. Highlight your organisation's strengths and benefits to differentiate your company from other employers.
- Communicate using a variety of channels to reach a broad audience of different ages and backgrounds. Use social media, job boards, professional networks, and events to promote your vacancies and engage with potential candidates.
- Conduct stay and exit interviews to understand what current employees like about working for the organisation and what may cause them to leave. Use this feedback to improve retention and change the recruitment process where necessary.
- Consider overseas recruitment and familiarise yourself with the relevant regulations and codes of practice. This can help you tap into a wider talent pool and bring valuable skills and diversity to your organisation.
- Use national schemes, partner with local schools and colleges, and offer alternative access routes into your organisation. This can attract candidates from diverse backgrounds and support talent development and progression.
- Attract staff by raising the profile of your organisation and career opportunities, and improve your organisation's reputation. Enhance your brand by using social media, leveraging your existing workforce, organising open days and events, celebrating healthcare weeks, offering rotational roles and internal transfer schemes, providing flexible working arrangements, and communicating the entire reward package.
- Focus on providing a positive candidate experience throughout the recruitment process. Ensure you have an engaging, informative, and enticing career website, and consider positive action to diversify your workforce and ensure your recruitment processes are accessible to all.
- Values-based recruitment can attract candidates who align with your organisation's values. Use competency-based interviewing to assess candidates' suitability for the role and your organisation's culture.
- Finally, a successful induction or preceptorship period is essential to retaining employees in the long term. Provide comprehensive training and support to help new employees settle into their roles and feel valued and engaged in the organisation.
By following these strategies, healthcare companies can attract and retain the best talent, support diversity and inclusion, and enhance their reputation as employers of choice.